Savory, simple, clean.
- Medium sauce pot
- Slotted spoon
- Sesame oil
- 1/2 T sesame seeds
- 3 C water
- 1 small handful dried mushrooms
- 1 packet Sazon
- Pinch or 1 T dried wakame
- 1/2 T sambal oelek (less or more depending on your spice level preference)
- 2 medium/large garlic cloves, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T fish sauce
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1 packet instant udon noodles – spice packet discarded if included
- 1 thin slice white onion, minced
- 2 thinly sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 fresh lime (to squeeze over soup)
Heat a medium sauce pot on medium-low heat. Add a drizzle of sesame oil and allow to warm up for about 1 minute. Add sesame seeds and swirl to make sure they don’t burn – 1 minute.
Turn heat up to high, add water, dried mushrooms, Sazon, wakame, sambal oelek, garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar. Bring to boil, then reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Remove solids from broth with slotted spoon and discard. Add noodles, sliced fresh mushrooms, minced onion and simmer 3 minutes. Note: this recipe does not use the spice packet that may come with your udon noodles.
Fry eggs* over easy.
* My process for making runny, over easy soup topper eggs is: let fry pan warm up on medium/medium-low heat for a few minutes, add 1 T butter and swirl (should sizzle and melt fast but not turn very brown), add eggs and immediately reduce heat to low, cover with lid, allow to cook until whites are fully set underneath (top can be clear), flip eggs and allow to cook for about 10 seconds, remove to soup.
Add soup to bowl and top with eggs. Drizzle with sriracha to taste. Squeeze in the whole chunk of lime, which adds a critical flavor to the recipe.